add a comment
A new online searching interface for the digitally native student is Destiny Quest™, a new feature within the widely used Destiny Library Manager™ solution, combining a visually engaging interface, broad-based integrated searching power and social networking components to create the new library for the 21st century learner.
For a live demo of Destiny Quest, click HERE.
Destiny Quest connects the teacher and student with resources to support curriculum and encourage development of research tools they’ll need for today’s new information environment. The new interface fosters greater collaboration among students, teachers, media specialists and parents. Destiny Quest strengthens the library-classroom connection and helps improve information literacy by providing technology tools to effectively search, manage, organize and interpret vast amount of information from the district’s collection and across the Internet.
Engaging Interface, Collaboration Tools
Destiny Quest offers new features today’s digitally native students expect in an online interface:
- Engaging, visually rich interface: Destiny Quest features a new, graphically engaging interface that offers many of the same visual cues they’re used to from popular Internet sites. Cover images of books available through TitlePeek™ are featured in more locations, and there’s more dynamic, click-and-drag action than in a more traditional search interface.
- Students rate, review, share opinions on books: Destiny Quest lets students give star ratings to books, and they can write expanded, moderated reviews on books they’ve read. Students can read the reviews of others, creating an engaging social networking environment.
- New “My Info” Space: Students can bookmark and store information sources they like in a personalized space for immediate, easy retrieval wherever they use Destiny®.
- Virtual Shelf Browsing: Destiny Quest features a Carousel View that lets students browse the actual library shelves online, seeing books on either side of the book they’ve found in a search. The feature makes it easier to find related titles that are available in the school library.
- Multiple Library, Internet Results Integrated in One Easy Search: Students and teachers can search every library among several, plus with Enriched Content Services, they can also search educator-approved websites and other digital content. Search results integrate all results seamlessly.
- Next-Generation Search Tools: Destiny Quest features an arsenal of search tools to help users find information faster and navigate more intuitively. Searches can be narrowed by keyword, author, publication year and other terms to produce more refined results. A “You May Also Like” feature makes active recommendations for further reading based on the student’s search history and circulation history. Destiny Quest also features a menu that drops down while the student enters a search term, providing spelling suggestions and alternate search terms based on previous searches. As students dig down into search results, they see a trail of search levels at the top of the screen, allowing them to backtrack to any level with one click of the mouse.
- Digital Content Immediately Available: When digital content, like eBooks, video or audio files, show up in search results, students can access them directly by clicking on them, without having to exit Destiny.
Destiny Quest has been part of the Destiny Resource Management Solution™ since version 8.5. For a live demo of Destiny Quest, click HERE.